Monday, February 14, 2011

Jon's Diagnosis

I have been blogging of Jon's interests and decided that I should give a little history of his life. Our son Jonathan was diagnosed at the age of 7 months with tuberous sclerosis (TS) More info of tuberous sclerosis at http://www.tscanada.ca/. At first the general practitioner thought it was colic but then reconsidered and sent us to see the pediatrician. Within minutes of seeing Jon the pediatrician suspected that there was brain damage and what had been thought to be colic were really seizures that he was having. He was admitted into the hospital where he underwent a lot of tests during the following week and it was discovered that he had TS. His prognosis didn't sound encouraging, we were told that he was severely affected and that he would never function at his age level. We were devastated and with heavy hearts we took our son home not knowing what his and our future held.
...to be continued

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the early months of Jon's life with us. Heavy hearts....not knowing what the days ahead held for all of you. May God give you peace and joy as you begin to share your journey with your dear son. Betty, I did not know you in those early years, but I do know you now and see that God chose a wonderful mom for Jon. The relationship you share with your son is beautiful. I will be back....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betty... what you said in that short paragraph speaks volumes.... words cannot describe the emotions that must have gone on at the time. I cannot imagine.
    Writing it down now ... now that you have gone from there to here... is living proof of how God has been there by your side as you have made decisions and raised him to still have a loving relationship with you.
    Thank you for sharing a memory that must be hard to write about. Your love for your son is so real and endearing. Like Kathy said, you have been and still are a wonderful mom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Betty.. reading your words, every parent immediately feels something of the emotional pain you must have felt .. How to bear it? - without God , I can't imagine.

    What a darling he was... and you know what? I still see that face in Jon today.. he still IS that precious child.

    I admire you for sharing your journey ... and I pray that others will be encouraged and given strength to walk the path set before them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Betty, as you know, I am a wee bit emotional these days, and what I have learned from you about unconditional love from a mother and what it means speaks volumes.
    I can only imagine the heavy hearts and the fear you must have felt. You and John are such huge testaments of perseverance and endurance. An example of strength in a marriage and a strength of faith. Your world around you was watching, and although you would be the first to admit that you did not always do things perfectly, and think maybe I could have or should have done things a little different, I think the Lord would say to both of you, "well done my faithful servants".
    I look forward to the continuing story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you Betty and the sweet gentle spirit God has given you through Jon's life on this earth...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just wonder where we would be without you. Your grace and wisdom from years of living the life God gave you. ..come through over and over again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you girls for all your kind words and encouragement. This is not an easy journey with our son but I want to assure you that the journey is worth it. God is faithful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are the most wonderful Mother. All of your children are blessed to have been put in your care. I love you mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just when you think your own world has turned a corner, it's good to get a perspective and learn that others have challenges also and so much of it depends on where you lean your ladder.
    We get up each day and we get to choose how we want to live it right?
    God will walk us through these times.
    Thanks for sharing your journey.

    ReplyDelete