Learning to eat by himself has not been an easy journey for Jon. He didn't know what to do with a spoon or how to pick up a piece of food and put it in his mouth. When he was 2 years old we started a program for him called 'The Portage Project'. A trained person came to assess him, then together we worked out a program for Jon. During the week Jon and I would work on a certain task and chart the results. Then at the end of the week the teacher would come back and we would decide whether Jon had learned this task well enough and was ready for the next one. Sometimes we stayed on one task for numerous weeks. Learning to eat was one of them. Jon did not know how to pick up food, take a bite or chew. These simple tasks that we take for granted were not simple for him. I would set up a mirror in front of him at the table so he could watch what was happening. Then I took a soda cracker and 'sort of forced it' between his teeth, all the time encouraging him to watch in the mirror, then with both of my hands I would move his mouth so that his teeth would meet and he could hear the cracker break. We did this over and over throughout the weeks until he learned how to do it. It was the same with chewing, here I would move his jaw around with my hand so he would feel and hear the cracker being chewed. Soda crackers dissolve quickly, that's why they were used for this task.
By looking at this photo no one would guess how long it took for Jon to learn to hold a spoon. At first I wrapped cloth around the spoon handle so that he could have a grip on it. Then with much encouragement I would guide, more like force his hand from the bowl to his mouth. There was constant resistance from him. Then slowly as he accomplished holding the spoon I would gradually move my hand to his wrist, then to his arm, elbow and finally when he got that, it would often just take a wave of our hand over the bowl for him to start eating. We used to say that we were 'blessing' his food. Many weeks were spent in doing these tasks. He was a picky eater and it was hard to introduce new foods.
Or is he saying, "Where's the gravy?"
ReplyDeleteYou made me smile Ocean Soul..that is probably more likely that he would be asking for gravy:)
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing these stories. Most of us have no idea the numerous challenges faced on a daily basis, the skill and determination needed and the love that pushes you to persevere.
ReplyDeleteBetty ...read this aloud this afternoon. .and read posts back awhile to Terry .. .now we are both in tears. ..you are amazing and so is Jon!
ReplyDeleteHugs to you dear girl!
Your love......it touched my heart deeply as I read this post. Thank you for continuing to share the journey you have walked.
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are documenting your journey with Jon. Precious memories.
ReplyDeleteLove that last picture! Food...it gets a reaction from all us.
Betty, I could feel with you the joy of Jon achieving each goal... it matters not how big or small the accomplishment- the pride in our children is the same!
ReplyDeleteI admire the tenatious patience it must have taken to stick with a task.....Thank you for allowing others to understand your journey and letting it be an encouragement to others who have special children.
You write and yet...at the end I sense a strong feeling dosage of humour that you needed to apply to your life daily..You presented it so well, as you daily worked at the repetitive skills over and over. Is there any higher calling?
ReplyDelete