The way I see it, life is a beautiful adventure. A chaotic, madly beautiful unplanned adventure.
There is something great and inspiring about watching parents raise a child that will never fully be able to take care of himself. That’s how my grandparents – the relentless, never-say-die fanatics of all things unique, got caught up in a boy that has taken their lives down a path they never could have planned for. There were no stodgy conventional parenting plans for the ride, there couldn’t be – just starry eyed faith and a strong heart. They set out to help Jon live the most ‘normal’ life he could, but instead gave him a unique life (what is normal anyway??)
Jon was raised in a hard working, down-to-earth family. They didn’t know it back then, but all of us (including Jon) were learning the basics of life first hand. Basics that can’t be taught in a textbook. Country life, homemade food, and honest people laid the foundation for the road ahead. My grandparents worked hard together and finally, after years, decided it was time for Jonathan to be independent, as independent as he could be and move on to new latitudes.
Jon Boy now resides in his own home. The raucous and rowdy home out in the sticks. He believes every mans trash is truly a treasure, being outdoors is a way of life, and balloons are his rodeo drive. He’d rather be outside in the quiet country air then in a loud, over-packed place with people. (I think he may be on to something)
As you’ve read, you know the journey hasn’t been easy. A few wrong turns, a few road blocks along the way, but my grandparents have fought the trenches with their never-give-up attitude and always dreamed BIG for Jon Boy.
They believe in learning something from every pitstop and every path along the way. They believed in his beautiful, wild human spirit and that it only grows richer and stronger day after day, year after year.
I TOTALLY and FULLY believe Jonathan is where he belongs.
Finally.
Kaila
Kaila
Aww Kaila what a treasure of a post..an unplanned adventure for sure but the ride was worth it.
ReplyDeleteI love your strong character and the love you have for those who have less..and all the fun you bring into our lives. Jon adores you and always has a special smile for you.
I love you my girl!
Kaila, how wonderful that you and your grandma are posting here together. Over the past several years I have come to know the heart of your grandma that you speak of. I see the twinkle in your grandma's eyes every time she talks about Jon. She also shines when she tells us about her whole family...she is truly a very special lady with a big heart.
ReplyDeleteI love how you described Jon's love to be alone.....I can relate to that at times. And I agree....what is normal...after all God created Jon, you, me....the way He saw best. You are blessed to have such wonderful grandparents.
What a a beautiful tribute! So well written... it's truly inspiring!
ReplyDeleteA lovely tribute to your grandparents, Kaila! God made no mistake when He chose them to parent Jon Boy.
ReplyDeleteI love this post Kaila and how you shared about Jon boy and your grandparents. You are blessed to be able to see them live and it is apparent you have seen and learned from them...Blessings!
ReplyDeleteWhat a joy you are to your grandparents and what a lovely and beautifully worded tribute. Quite perfect that it is right imbetween Mother's Day and Father's Day. You have been born into a wonderful family and have a heritage that will ground you deeply in God's love, the love that your Grandparents live out every day!
ReplyDeleteBetty, wow, what a tribute to you and your family from Kaila. That is the best gift one can receive. Keep cheering Betty on, Kaila!
ReplyDeleteWhen I think of your Grandma I think authentic. . ..fully loving. ..servant hearted. . wise. ..and oh yet so gentle. We finally got a chance to meet your Grandpa and saw that your Grandma chose well.
ReplyDeleteBeautifully written Kaila!
Wow Kaila...beautifully written!
ReplyDeletei love it Kaila.... absolutly love it!
ReplyDeleteKaila girl..you really inspire me with your words.
ReplyDeleteI don't know how I missed this post for so many days already, but I read it now....and maybe it was meant for me to read now, for my own reasons, I don't know......but it was worth it.
How does someone so young have so much insight and wisdom......must run in the genes, eh? :)
Wonderful post girl, just wonderful.