Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Jon's Staff and Shedule


A photo of Jon and some of his staff. Jon has 9 staff that rotate. They usually work 6 hour shifts. Weekends and nights are longer shifts. His night staff is awake, to be aware if Jon should have a seizure or need help. His staff are a great bunch and desire to make Jon's life as happy and fun as possible!

Jon has his own program mapped out for him more or less as his mood dictates. There are routine things that he does like helping with the grocery shopping, taking recycling to the depot, taking his clothes to the laundry room and has learned to start a load of wash, taking his dishes to the sink and such.

He lets staff know whether he wants to go somewhere or stay home. Of course he is willing to go out when it's something he thinks will be exciting. In the past few months he has already been to see fireworks a few times, to the Red River Ex where his main interest is going on all the crazy rides and has made a trip out to the snake pits.  And tomorrow he is going horseback riding.

Sometimes it's a challenge to come up with ideas for things to do and that Jon will want to participate in.

10 comments:

  1. And I thought my schedule was full! I totally get the crazy ride thing!!! Luuuuv the crazy rides too! I just don't understand his love of the snakes...gravy yes, snakes no. I hope he has a wonderful time tomorrow on the horse! He is so blessed to have 9 wonderful staff who care for him and help him enjoy every day to its fullest...challenging work, but look at Jon's face! That is one happy camper.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do hope someone takes pictures of his cowboy experience tomorrow. I hope he has a great time. .and perhaps decide on a new hobby.
    I'd kind of like someone to stay up during the night. ..for when I can't sleep ..it would be quite handy. Seriously ..it is wonderful that he has such great staff to care for him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nine committed staff, now that is not something to be taken for granted that is for sure.
    I love how Jon knows how to have fun. Horse back riding, I hope there are pictures too....It would be fun to see him on the crazy rides as well. It has been ages since I was on a crazy ride.
    I agree with Karen, gravy yes, snakes no! :/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a gift to have staff that put him first and show their care for him. I'm sure that's why he does so well there. Does he ever go bowling? My neighbour used to work with handicapped kids on the horses and it was a toss up to know who enjoyed it more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes Bev he goes bowling once in awhile and loves it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am surprised he doesn't occasionally whip up a Mennonite dish or two..free form, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad for professional staff that is there to be with Jon and help put your mind at ease.
    Did he like the horseback riding?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anneliese..Jon has gone horse back riding before and loves it. This time it was cancelled due to rain.
    Thoughts on Life and Millinery..first dish would be 'shmaunt fat'(cream gravy) I'm thinking:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm smiling at Jill's comment. Does he like helping in the kitchen?

    Too bad his horseback adventure was cancelled.

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a two-sided coin your life is: the difficulties in the experience of your son's dilemma and the marvel of watching the Lord's hand at work! I so enjoyed your page in the MGCC Cook Book as you face it all head on leaning on the Lord. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete