When Jon was around the age of 2 he was saying a few words and started to string some words together. Then followed that period of many seizures that I mentioned in the post on finding the right medications. During this time he lost all his speech and has not regained it. We tried various ways of trying to teach him communication skills, first of all sign language but with being autistic as well he had a lot of hand waving and fluttering happening so it was confusing for all of us. We then tried the 'picture book', a book that he should carry on him, take it out and point to the pictures to say what he wanted. This was not successful either and very frustrating for him and he let us know it! The book was thrown across the room many times. In hindsight I wish we had perservered longer but we did the best we could at the time.
Jon has not learned to speak and he communicates by pointing and showing us what he wants. This is often very frustrating for him as we don't always
understand what he wants. He doesn't handle this very well and will throw things and bang his head on the walls. I can only imagine how hard this must be for him.
Okay, first off...luuuuuv that photo of him and (I am assuming) his dad. The picture gives no hint of the trial that your family was going through at that time. It does show a moment, though. A moment of pure transcendent beauty and peace. Moments like that...what a treasure. Thanks for sharing insights to the challenges of TS! I am constantly amazed.
ReplyDeleteI wanted to comment on the picture as well.
ReplyDeleteWhat a peaceful moment. It seems like a moment held still in time with that photo.
I can't imagine how frustrating it is for all concerned that he is not verbal....love is a language he speaks well with his butterfly kisses and those speak volumes.
Betty. .you are sharing your reality here and yet I am always so touched by how you know so often just what would bring him happiness. He may not be able to communicate easily but you certainly always communicate love to him.
ReplyDeleteFather - Son......a moment, a lifetime. Communicating love and family bond.....Jon knows that love and acceptance. I can only imagine as you shared this how hard you all worked to help Jon communicate as we all know it. Part of communication is also just understanding where no words are needed...and I know that you have that practically and in your heart. Betty, may God continue to give you all you need as you continue to help your son with his special areas of need. Blessings upon blessings!
ReplyDeleteCommnunication is such a wonderful gift that we take for granted. When I look at someone with physical limitaions I think that's sad, but do not even realize how much more frustrating the fact must be not to be able to communicate. It helps one understand the "throwing issue" ... May God continue to give you insight into his mind. He know he's loved very much.
ReplyDeleteFrom the picture...one would never know they cannot speak to one another. A father and son...sitting on the shore and sharing the moment as the sun sets.
ReplyDeleteBlessings on you all as you continue to communicate with Jon...in the best way you know how.