We were told by our doctor that we should not expect Jon to crawl or walk at an early age. The right side of his body did not function properly. When he started to crawl which he did before he was a year old, his right leg would drag and his right arm would drop. But he didn't give up, he would get up on all fours and try again, although he just couldn't master it. And so it became a 'get up on all fours, drop and slide' kind of crawl.
Then at the age of 18 months he started to walk, at a much earlier age than we had expected. And once he could walk he would sometimes revert back to crawling which he now could do much better. His right arm continued to hang limp and he couldn't use it properly. We were told that we needed to do therapy. It was suggested that we should try to encourage the use of the right hand by getting him to do things with it. Oh how we tried and oh how frustrated he was! Eventually he did start to use his right hand although his left hand has always been his dominant one.
I couldn't locate a photo of Jon learning to crawl or walk, this one is of him 'fluttering grass'.
Betty, I wonder what it feels like to go back to these early beginnings, knowing all that you know now? What a surprised that he mastered the balance to walk so quickly. I have a (great) niece who was older than that when she learned to walk... just because.
ReplyDeleteAnneliese, sometimes those days almost seem like a dream, like life on hold. I do find it a bit emotional to relive those days, at the same time there were many wonderful blessings through it all.
ReplyDeleteIt embarrasses me that I can give up so easily when I hear and see the determination it took to do these things we take for granted. Wonder what we could achieve if we just kept at it?
ReplyDeletePerseverance with a capital "P". Glad to see he proved the doctor wrong! Fluttering grass...he seems like a tactile learner, a hands on kind of guy!
ReplyDeleteOur youngest decided all on her own there was not need for her to crawl or walk because she had older siblings to cater to her...she was 18 months before she walked too. She had lots of determination, but not that way :).
ReplyDeleteI love the way looking back now it is such a miracle and I loved the way he proved the drs. wrong.
I agree with Ellen it shames me that I can give up so easily.
Thank you also for going back to emotional memories and sharing them with us. There is great teaching in it.
I agree ..I give up way too easily so often and often wonder why I have so little patience to learn a new task. Thank you for sharing Jon's journey with us Betty. I can imagine that every new task he accomplished was a reason to have a celebration by your whole family.
ReplyDeleteBetty, your comment about it all seems a bit dream like in retrospect; I think that dream like state is God's ways of wiping away our tears even before we get to heaven.
ReplyDeleteI have had a similar emotion once my challenging children left home. I could finally look at our family pictures without gritting my teeth because of what was happening before and after each shot. Those frustrating events had mellowed for me over with time.
That being said, sometimes a final tear got shed about situations of the past, and I finally was able to move on.
It is so natural for us all to watch and wait for those first steps and find such delight in any progress. I can imagine how delighted you and John were as Jon began to crawl and walk. I could see your beautiful smile encouraging him on.
ReplyDeleteThe fact that Jon walked at 18 months is an incredible tribute to you!
ReplyDeleteMy youngest granddaught was so content just to sit that she did not walk until 18 months and there was nothing at all wrong with her. Romay was worried and had her checked out...the doctor said.. "She's fine.. just lazy!"
So for Jon to walk at that age is amazing !!!
How do we know what he is experiencing...He was maybe being a butter fly? Who knows? How he has developed through your Patience and Persistence is another miracle.
ReplyDelete