Thursday, March 17, 2011

Kindergarten and Elementary School

When Jon reached the age of 5 we wanted to send him to kindergarten but our school division didn't accept special needs children at that age as there was no program in place and we were told he would have to wait till the following year. Together with two other parents we decided that our boys could not wait and so a kindergarten class was started. EnVision (read about them in the sidebar) stepped in, hired teaching staff, and found a room at a local daycare where the classes could be held. Although that meant that we would have to pay for daycare costs even with our own room and teachers. Approx $ 800.00 was our cost for Jon's kindergarten that year. The following year our school division had kindergarten classes in place for everyone. A special education wing had been added to a local elementary school and Jon boarded the bus every morning with his sisters to attend classes. I felt so relieved knowing that his sisters would see him safely to his class. He had some difficult years at school but also some better ones. He connected well with some of the teachers and challenging as it was for them, they made school more enjoyable for him. There were many times throughout the years when I needed to pick Jon up at school because of behaviour problems. I think Jon grew wise to this, knowing Mom would be called to get him if he misbehaved and home is where he wanted to be.

11 comments:

  1. And it sounds like home is still his favorite place to be! Now is that any different than the rest of us?

    ReplyDelete
  2. clever boy.....he knew there were cookies and gravy at home. :)
    Sounds like you were a pioneer in many ways Betty, opening the doors for other children with special needs to go to school when all the other kids started in kindergarten. Tough, no doubt, but look what was accomplished...wow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad he had some gifted teachers along the way. I know my kids had some teachers that really hindered them and didn't understand them. It's tough to let your children go and endure under someone who just doesn't get it. Home is a good place to be :o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those teachers that blessed Jon will surely have no regrets in their lifea as far as how to treat special needs kids. I bet he knew how to get home. ..I think that is a universal thought process for all children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Being a trailblazer is expensive and exhausting, but I'm guessing that just like Lewis and Clark, you got to see new territory gained every week, and you have mapped your way through the TS, discovering more and more with every trail you blazed. And providing much needed helpful information for those who would follow in this path with their own special needs children. Good on you for making education an important part of Jon's life! And Good on Jon for finding his way home on the days when he probably just needed to be around mom! I still find my way home to my mom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the ways that Jon's life is sooo full of meaning and purpose .. You first in discovering the power of Mother love and perseverance.... and then the countless others whose lives have been blessed and changed by Jon's life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How wonderful that several of you families could join together that first year, and then the doors opened up for him to attend school. How sweet that his sisters took care of him on the bus. HOME....your's was his sweet retreat. I'm sure he felt loved and safe in his own surroundings....like most of us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for the memories Betty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you for sharing this untold stories behind with your son. it's interesting coz i have had many experiences in life too, and glad to watch and see this meaningful stories of your child. tough i am single but family oriented too.:)

    may God bless him and protect every step of the way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. How wonderful that you could be part of getting the ball rolling so that kids who need a different kind of education could have a class to attend as well. So good that Jon could be part of a class like that... with teachers who cared.
    I think my boy would have acted up in school too had it given him the chance to go home.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I could not imagine receiving that call...but then on the other hand, you had already understood what it was like to have expectations about Jon. I always wonder how this effected the rest of your family?

    ReplyDelete