As Jon's young years went by I often wondered if he would ever be toilet trained. Would the day ever come that I wouldn't be hanging diapers out on the washline? As much as I enjoyed the sight of diapers flapping in the wind I really was looking forward to the day when it would end.
We did the same with toilet training as we had done with the others tasks, following the Portage program. This seemed rather daunting as Jon needed to be taken to the bathroom every 30 min. I hadn't ever thought about how many 'half hours' there are in a day; my life revolved around bathrooms:) Jon resisted and week after week went by without success. Then one day he either realized what I wanted of him or it happened by mistake, our first success! I praised him over and over..I'm sure I was more excited than he was. He seemed to understand what was expected of him and rarely had an accident after that. He was nine years old at the time.
That's a lot of half hours!! Puts it into perspective for those trying to train by three ... So good you persisted!
ReplyDeleteOh yes. ..that puts toddler training into perspective. Persistance does pay off. This story shows again what kind of stuff Betty is made of. I'm so glad you can share it here. I know it will be an encouragement to many.
ReplyDeleteWhat a daunting task...every 30 minutes? Seems like it paid off and I'm sure many a parent will be encouraged by the journey that you disclose to us. Many people would not be able to share their stories. Thank you for bringing hope.
ReplyDeleteThe loving care of a mother.....Betty, you are an example to us. Believing in your son and sharing victories along the way with him.
ReplyDeleteI had to smile at him just relaxing in his swing....comfortable and content.
Yes...like Marg said, bring hope.
In gardening, manure is fabulous for producing a bumper crop. Betty, I think you've had your share of manure,and instead of saying, "this stinks" you are growing a bumper crop of fruit...love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness & self-control. Well done!
ReplyDeleteOh Betty.. only a mother's love would persevere as you did .. 9 years? but victory did come! I totally believe you were more excited than Jon !!
ReplyDelete